Our colorful Cowboy Parade is one of the largest, motorless parades in the country and always a family favorite. Entrants over the years have include the La Plata County Mounted Patrol who traditionally serve as our Color Guard, beautiful 6-up Belgian draft teams, Mediterranean donkeys, historic wagons, coaches and carriages, Native American Dancers, the US Forest Service Pack Mule Team, buckaroos on stick horses and fashionable ladies & gents dressed in period costume.
- The Cowboy Parade is FREE to enter and open to any entrant that is not motor propelled
- Registration / Check-in table will open at 8:30 across from the train depot.
- When you or a member of your group checks in, you will receive your parade number.
- ALL PARTICIPANTS must submit release form.
- Parade line-up starts at 2nd Avenue and 5th Street.
- Please be prompt as the parade begins at 10:00 a.m.
- We plan to kick off the parade with an Old West gunfight just north of the Strater Hotel, far enough from the animals to not cause a problem,
but please be aware.
- Entries will be accepted up until 9:00 the day of the parade but we recommend you register in advance - two advance registration options are provided below.
- Completed Entry Forms and Release Forms may also be dropped off at the Durango Welcome Center located at the corner of Main Ave. and 8th Street.
Deadline to receive entries is Friday, October 2rd.
If you miss the deadline for some reason, please contact me at (512) 517-5619 and we will make arrangements for you. We want you to participate very much, but please know that it makes the parade lineup and the announcer’s job a lot easier if your entry is received by the deadline. We really appreciate your help on this!
Deadline to submit your online registration is Friday, October 2nd by 5:00 p.m.
If you are unable to participate in the parade itself, we are always looking for volunteers.
No parade of this size can be successful without the efforts of its volunteers.
What are some things you can do?
- Intersection/barrier guards--traffic control
- Check-in process
- Assisting with the parade line-up
- Helping out with the horses and wagons
- Escorting guests and performers to the correct wagon
- Pooper scoopers!
Parade Chairman -
Pam Jacobs via email or call 512-517-5619 with all your parade questions or to volunteer.